Present: Carlos Alejandre, Shilvolsky Buffaloe, Sharon Christ, Chasity Frederick (new), Xin Li, Leanne Miller, Joe Royer.
Absent: Marilyn Rodriquez (new) and Virginia Slothour.
- Funding for attendance at the American Society of Limnology and Oceanography Conference in Salt Lake City, UT - requested: no amount listed: approved: $0. As stated in the November 11, 2004 SAF committee minutes, "The viability of continued funding of conferences was discussed. It appears that a lot of money benefits very few students even when advertised to the campus community. Conferences tend to be of limited interest outside those in the particular area, i.e. funding for the CAS conference is for CAS majors, the Kendo conference is for Kendo enthusiasts, OOPSLA conference is for computer folks. There is a preference for spending funds on campus activities that benefit the largest number of students; therefore, conference proposals of limited interest will no longer be considered." It was suggested that perhaps this be taken to the DAA and CEO. If the Commonwealth College advertises itself as a place where students can do research with faculty, then money needs to be provided.
- Funding for Phillies-Orioles tickets for 5/2/05 game - requested: $450 or 30 tickets at $15; approved: $450.
- Funding for Mandarin Chinese language course at 8 students for $75/student to actually cover a 30-student course. requested: $400 ($200 coming from diversity committee); approved: $400.
- Funding for a local artist to hang Black art during the month of February. Requested: $600; approved: $0. The committee very much like the idea of hanging art work; however, the two concerns were security of the exhibit space and cost proposed by the artist to hang her work, which is for sale. It is suggested that this be reconsidered when the Performing Arts Building is open and ready for art shows
- Funding for a bus trip to the National Gallery of Art in Washington D. C. on April 12. Requested: $375 ($235 from DAA office and $100 from Diversity committee); Approved: $375.