Present: Carlos Alejandre, Shilvolsky Buffaloe, Kirby Chin, Sharon Christ, Xin Li, Leanne Miller, Joe Royer.
Not Present: Chastity Frederick, Marilyn Rodriquez, Virginia Slothour.
Guests: Art Henne, Matt Hoch, Laura Lamar, Peter Siwik.
Reviewed student activity fee: received notification from University Park of a $10260 cut to the 2005-06 student activity fee based on decrease in enrollments. As of 3/29/05, this brings the funding available from $45233.26 to $34973.26. There is $31275 in approved proposals that have not yet been paid with an additional $12775 in proposals to be considered at today's meeting. It was decided to move the following proposals, as necessary, to the 2005-06 fiscal year:
$5000 support for men's baseball and women's softball
$6000 trip to Germany in July
$5000 third and final payment of 3-year security camera project
$3000 first of three pieces of a Fitness Trail
- Appealed proposal: Earth Day - guests Art Henne, Matt Hoch, Laura Lamar, Peter Siwik made an impassioned appeal for funding for Earth Day to be held on April 22. They explained the connection between providing information to interested people and direct service such as planting a tree in honor of Earth Day. Requested: $1175. Approved: $550; in addition, work with Barbara Dennis on TV/radio/newspaper ads and cut back on the budgeted $750 for marketing. Since the goal of the Earth Day program is to raise awareness of opportunities, future funding proposals will need to show evidence of increased student involvement in Earth Day related clubs, organizations or projects.
- Republican Club: 6 Flags Great Adventure trip. $700 for 50-passenger bus; $26.50/person group rate admission fee. Students would pay $13/person admission. Request: $1375 total for bus and 1/2 ticket price. Approved: $1375; will consider second bus if it's a minimum of 2/3 full. Non-PSY students must pay $14 for the bus plus $26.50 admission fee or $40.50. Per PSU policy, a PSU employee must be on each bus.
- Intramurals and Recreation: 15 station fitness trail - requesting first 5 stations at $3000. Request: $3000. Approved: $3000. Must check university liability of
community members injurying themselves; must show PSY statistics on usage prior to any further funding requests.
NOTE: The discussion of the Fitness Trail led to a discussion about the availability of the Fitness Center. Joe Royer will investigate the a card swipe lock on the Fitness center which would allow students to access the center at their convenience. Joe will report back at the next meeting.
- Asian Culture Club: request for Asian Awareness Week activities - sushi demo, tea festival, Japanese introductory lesson. Requested: $500. Approved: $500.
- Diversity Committee: needs potential back-up funding for Unity Day to be held 4/13. Requested: $500. Approved: $500.