Present: Jessica Olan, co-chair; Sukhdeep Gill, faculty; Andy Landis, faculty; Joe Royer, staff; Angi Davis, Lapiffany Shearin, Matthew Dunlap, Nick DeCampo, Chris Leverette, Camilla Rodriguez, students; Scott Simonds (for Sharon Christ, co-chair). Sue Werner, fiscal officer, was also present.
Unable to attend: Mark Brown, Sharon Christ
- Proposal from Dr. Cecilia Heydl-Cortinez, to consider increasing support from $300 per student for international trips to $400 per student. Cost of international trips has almost doubled over the past 9 years, according to figures provided by Dr. Heydl-Cortinez. In lieu of the information provided, and the funds available, the committee has decided to increase funding per student to $400 per student, up to ten students. Should trips attract more than ten students, the organizers can approach SAFC again and ask for additional funds for those students exceeding ten, if funds are available.
- Given the previous proposal, the following proposals have been
- Dr. Heydl-Cortinez, proposal for Italy trip over spring break. Requested $300 per student for ten students ($3000). Approved $4000 ($400x10).
- Dr. Heydl-Cortinez, proposal for Mexico trip over winter break. Requested $300 per student for five students ($1500). Approved $2000 ($400x5).
- Dr. Matt Hoch, proposal for Rivers to Reef trip to Belize over spring break. Requested $300 per student for sixteen students ($4800). Approved $6400 ($400x16).
- Suzanne Flinchbaugh, proposal for trip to Paris over spring break. Requested $300 per student for ten students ($3000). Approved $4000 ($400x10).
- Dr. Sandra Staton-Taiwo, proposal for trip to Ghana over summer '08. Requested $300 per student for ten students ($3000). Approved $4000 ($400x10).
As in the past, all students will be reimbursed after returning to the campus and presenting a talk about their experience abroad.
- Proposal from the Powerlifting Team for new weight belts. Three weight belts @ $40 each, total $120. Approved.
- Proposal from SiSTEMiC Club, Biology Club, for $240 for a film screening of "An Inconvenient Truth" and refreshments on October 15 in the Ruhl Student Center. Approved.
- Proposal from SGA for $3800 toward new furnishings and computers for the SGA/Club office. Approved; with the stipulation that the office receive no further SAF support for enhancements for the next five years (2012).
- Proposal from numerous clubs for a Halloween party/gaming night to be held on Friday, October 26 in the Student Center. Requested $2000. Committee approved $1000, with the balance to be approved once a more detailed budget for the event has been submitted. Budget will be submitted to the committee members via e-mail and then a vote to allocate the additional $1000 will be conducted via e-mail. ADDENDUM: An email vote was taken with 10 of the 12 members able to vote; 7 of the 10 replied in the affirmative. Approved: $2000.
Note that all proposals were voted upon unanimously after lengthy discussions.