Present: A. Davis, M. Dunlap, S. Gill, J. Olan, J. Royer, L. Shearin, S. Simonds (for S. Christ)
Not present: A. Landis, C. Leverette, C. Rodriguez
- General business
- Beginning student activity fee balance: $98745.42
- The committee is in need of a student member.
- Proposal from Rauthild Orleth-Diener for funding of transportation to the American Indian Museum in Washington D.C. Requested: $400. Received: $400. Discussion: Precedent set; must advertise and offer the trip to the entire student community.
- Proposal from Student Affairs Office for 1/2 the purchase price of new international flags for the campus. Requested: $2,000. Received: $0; proposal was tabled until student input could be collected. Discussion: There is concern that the activity fee is increasingly being used for ampus items vs student items.
- Proposal from Todd Gutierrez, student, for Spring Week activities. Requested: $7,000. Received: $7,000. Discussion: This is exactly what student activity fee funds should be used for - the greatest benefit to the students.
- Proposal from the Blue and White Society Club for a Battle of the Bands program. Requested: $900. Received: $900 ($400 for labor/$500 for rentals). Discussion: Free admittance for Penn State York students; $5 for all others. Proceeds to be returned to SAF committee. This is exactly what student activity fee funds should be used for the greatest benefit to the students.
- Dalynet Torres-Cruz, student, for YWCA Race Against Racism entry fee or students. Requested: $900. Received: $900. Discussion: Precedent set last year. This event draws faculty, staff, and students together in a campus-community event.
- Proposal from Monica Grigera for What It Takes to Succeed program for 2007-08. Requested: $640. Received: $640. Discussion: To increase the student benefit of the What It Takes to Succeed lunch, invite LaMar hields, Urban Leadership Institute speaker, to the first lunch of the 2007-08 academic year. Open to all students.
- Proposal from Hispanic Student Association for the Justo Lamas concert tickets. Requested: $480 or 40 tickets at $12. Received: $360 or 40 tickets at $9. Discussion: PAC ticket reduction is set at $10/student for any program over $15. Committee decided that the $14 tickets could receive a prorated reduction of $5 with students paying the difference.
- Proposal from Lion Ambassadors for Hershey Park tickets. Requested: $1,275. Received: $1,275 which is 1/2 the cost of 100 tickets at 25.50/full price ticket. Discussion: LA must take orders and then buy the tickets versus buying 100 tickets and trying to sell them.
- Proposal from Heidi Deren for funds for the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra's presentation of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. Requested: $400. Received: $400 as a $10 reduction/ticket. Discussion: Open to all students.