If you participated in the G. I. Bill while on active duty in the last ten years, or are presently active in a Reserve unit in Pennsylvania, consider using your benefits by enrolling as a full-time or part-time student in an approved program of education at Penn State.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE VETERAN/RESERVIST/DEPENDENT/SPOUSE
1. Contact/visit the Veterans Office at the campus you will be attending.
2. Pay your acceptance fee to the university.
3. Process your bill.
4. Be sure your basic training credits and credits from any other school are evaluated by the university. Stop in the Admissions Office for assistance.
AT-A-GLANCE INFORMATION FOR VETERANS AND DEPENDENTS
|Veterans Educational Programs||Forms needed by First Time Recipients||Additional Documents Needed||Forms needed to Change School or Program of Study||Financial Aid Forms Requested by Penn State for all Students||Current Pay Rates for Full-Time Students as of October 1, 2004|
|Chapter 30 Montgomery G.I. Bill (Active Duty)||Application for Educational Benefits Form: VA Form: 22-1990 and Forms:22-1999 21-686C||Member 4 copy of DD-214 or DD-2366||Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Form: DD 22-1995||FAFSA (Free Application for Financial Aid) www.fafsa.ed.gov New Students by February 15, Returning Students by April 1||$1,004.00|
|Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation||VA Form: 28-1905||-||VA Form 28-1905||FAFSA (Free Application for Financial Aid) www.fafsa.ed.gov New Students by February 15, Returning Students by April 1||$474.27|
|Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents||Application for Survivors & Dependents Educational Assistance VA Form:22-5490||Request for Change of Program or Place of Training for Suvivors & Dependents VA Form 22-5495||FAFSA (Free Application for Financial Aid) www.fafsa.ed.gov New Students by February 15, Returning Students by April 1||$803|
|Chapter 1606* (formerly 106) - Montgomery G.I. Bill (Selective Reserve/National Guard)||Application for Educational Benefits Form:22-1990 and Forms: 22-1999 21-686C||Notice of Basic Eligibility DD Form 2384||Request for Change of Program or Place of Training VA From 11-1995||$288.00|
|Chapter 1606* (formerly 106) - Montgomery G.I. Bill (Selective Reserve/National Guard)||Form 22-1995 This benefit is for Chapter 1606 who have been called to active duty|
|TOP-UP||Copy of DD Form: 2366 11331 (or proof of payment)|
* Basic training for Selective Reserve/National Guard is NOT considered active duty by Pennsylvania.
** If a reservist (Chapter 1606) has been called to active duty since 09/11/01, the Chapter 1607 benefit would be based on the three year rate for Chapter 30 benefit ($803.00).
- If active for ninety days to one year = 40%
- If active 1 year to two years – 60%
- If active over two years = 80%
- Must have a six year contract and be active reserve to receive the Chapter 1607 benefit.
CONTINUING RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE VETERAN/RESERVIST/DEPENDENT/SPOUSE
- Process your bill each semester.
- Meet with your academic adviser before scheduling your classes.
- Notify the university and the VA of any change in address or phone number
- Notify the Veterans coordinator of any change in enrollment status, including change of major, dropping or adding of courses. If called to active duty, click on Military Withdraw to follow withdraw process with Penn State.
- Notify the Student Affairs Office of any major change in income.
- Visit the Nittany Success Center for information and help on study skills and note taking.
- Keep all Penn State, veterans, federal, and state information together.
- Complete and mail your FAFSA (Financial aid paperwork) by April 1 for returning students and February 1 for new students each year to qualify for the maximum financial aid benefits.
For additional useful links, see Veterans' Links.
Request additional information on veterans at Penn State York by contacting:
Penn State York Student Affairs