Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon

One of our former library student workers came to our Christmas party yesterday and, while he was here, decided to look for some basic books on journalism. While doing a browse search on the term journalism, we came across the term feuilletons as a related term. Neither of us knew what it meant, but the next day, he sends me an email saying that he just saw the word used in a friend’s Facebook posting adding, “Isn’t it peculiar how you see something new and then you ALWAYS see it after that initial moment?”

I thought there should be a name for this phenomenon, so I googled some phrase trying to explain this and found the term Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon. I don’t understand why I can’t find any reference to this in Gale Virtual Reference Library or in LionSearch. I tried the term frequency illusion, referred to in the web article, but nothing came up for that either.

I would think there would be a psychological term for this phenomenon, but I can’t find it!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.